Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 7 14:19:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le Jeu 7 novembre 2013 14:57, Josh Boyer a écrit :
>
>> And yet, now we have Coprs.  Which lets people easily upload
>> unreviewed, possibly bundled application SRPMs for easy distribution
>> outside of the main Fedora repos.  Everyone seems to think Coprs are
>> awesome, but they can be used for the same things you deride
>> containerized apps for.
>
> And Coprs have their own name. So they're doing exactly what I proposed.
> You didn't read my message

Oh, I read it.  I find it odd that we can have a tool with a name
(Copr) that is officially part of the Fedora project and a tool
without a name (containerized apps) that doesn't even exit yet that
both solve similar issues and can be used in similar ways and somehow
have the name being the only thing that makes it acceptable.

So if we call containerized apps "Appers" and host it somewhere on
Fedora infrastructure and tell people about it, you'd be totally OK
with that?  People seem to already be jumping to conclusions that
Appers are going to somehow magically be THE WAY we deliver software,
but yet nobody had the same thoughts around Coprs.  The blinders
involved here are pretty large.

These things are tools.  They aren't the end-all-be-all solution to
software delivery.  I just wish people would calm down and stop
wasting so much energy fighting against something on grounds that
aren't even with existing tools and before anyone even sees what it
looks like.

josh