[Fedora Base Design WG] Committee FESCO approved, next steps

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Thu Nov 7 20:28:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> And with that conflict - resources to backport stuff or do updates (that's
> the reason why we have so many updates - no resources to backport fixes,
> more hope that upstream fixed it and it's regression free :D).

Note that it's not strictly necessary for all groups to have the same,
or even a compatible, release cadence, as long as their stability
promises are compatible.

It might be possible for Base to release every 3 months, and to apply
the Base update to all Server installations, even with an 18-month
Server lifetime; in the same way as we currently are rebasing the
kernel during the lifetime of a single Fedora release.

Of course this is only possible when the shorter-lifetime project is
explicitly tasked with keeping $somehow_defined stability (and the
kernel is one of the cases where they've been fairly public about this
being the goal; I have my doubts about the larger Base deliverable).
    Mirek