Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 23:40:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 16:15 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 07.11.13 03:53, Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) wrote:
>
> > Olav Vitters wrote:
> > > AFAIK (not sure), it should come somewhat easy once you the distribution
> > > is based upon systemd.
> >
> > That means it will exclude the most popular distribution out there.
>
> If you are referring to Ubuntu, then yes. But then again, they already
> have their own app packaging format based around .debs and
> AppArmor. So yeah, we might be dicks by not supporting non-systemd
> systems, but they were dicks first, by not supporting non-Ubuntu systems
> for their app images. And that's quite some consolation, no? ;-)

The implementation of some kind of 'app level packaging system' divorced
from distros' historic package formats seems like a fairly valuable
opportunity to finally improve the level of interoperability between
Debian-derived and non-Debian-derived distros.

If, instead, we turn it into an opportunity to argue about who was being
a dick first and then cheerfully prolong the existing, needless divides
without even making a serious attempt at working together, that...seems
like something of a waste. And an invitation to a system that _does_
work across distros, like OH SAY STEAM, to eat everyone's lunch.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey