[Base] Summary/Minutes from today's Base WG meeting (2013-11-08)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Nov 8 18:31:15 UTC 2013

Dennis Gilmore (dennis at ausil.us) said:
> Meeting started by pknirsch at 15:00:59 UTC. The full logs are available
> at
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2013-11-08/fedora_base_design_working_group.2013-11-08-15.00.log.html

Apologies for not making the meeting. Some comments

>   * LINK: http://fpaste.org/52688/38392758/   (pknirsch, 16:19:54)
>   * Base definition: installer, compose tools, minimal install (for some
>     definition there), and functionality the majority products want to
>     use  (pknirsch, 16:21:30)

My concern with this, as a base design, is that the current implementation
of anaconda leads to a dependency tree that is *not* small; it's much larger
than the minimal install, as it extends to storage tools, NetworkManager,
graphical toolsets, and other items. (You could even arguably pull in X and
in the future wayland.)

It's not a *bad* thing to have as a base design - I could make the argument
that changes in that base (NM, X, etc.) are all things that should be
coordinated as a layer under the separate products. But it does give a wider
area of coverage than may be expected.

(Also, stabilizing the build dependencies therein. Wheee.)

Bill