OSGi 5 Implementation

Manuel Faux manuel.faux at conf.at
Mon Nov 11 10:35:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:07:55 +0100
"puntogil at libero.it" <puntogil at libero.it> wrote:

> Il 11/11/2013 10:53, Mikolaj Izdebski ha scritto:
> > On 11/09/2013 03:25 PM, Manuel Faux wrote:
> >> I'm trying to build NetBeans 7.4 under Fedora, which requires an
> >> OSGi 5 specification. NetBeans originally ships the OSGi Alliance's
> >> specification, whose license is not compatible with Fedora, as far
> >> as I know (http://www.osgi.org/Download/Release5?info=nothanks).
> > This license is clearly non-free.
The strange thing is, that the pre-download information (the link
above) shows a quite restrictive license, but when you actually
download the file, the LICENSE file in the jar file mentions Apache
License 2.0.

> >> Is there any OSGi 5 implementation already in Fedora's repos I can
> >> use for that purpose? All packages I checked so far only support
> >> OSGi 4 (Eclipse Equinox, JBoss OSGi, Apache Felix).
> > Not that I know.
> >
> >> I found Knopflerfish, which is a OSGi 5 platform licensed under BSD
> >> license, which would be compatible to Fedora
> >> (http://www.knopflerfish.org/). Unfortunately this package does
> >> not yet exist for Fedora. Building this package, would be kind of
> >> a plan B.
> > Knopflerfish depends on code from OSGi Alliance [1], so if that
> > code is non-free then packaging Knopflerfish itself won't solve the
> > problem.
> the main knopflerfish module no, maybe other sub-modules, depend on
> ee.minimum.jar
I'm not so deep into OSGi frameworks, but basically we just need the
framework, not even the complete service platform. To build this
framework, the ee.minimum.jar is required. Is this the critical part
depending on OSGi Alliance licensed code? If yes, how is it ever
possible to get an OSGi 5 framework into a FOSS product?

> > [1]
> > https://knopflerfish.org/svn/knopflerfish.org/trunk/osgi/ee/ee.minimum.jar
> >
> regards

Manuel