unaccessability

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 11:01:51 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:12:34 +0100, Branislav Blaskovic wrote:

> yes, you are right with ImageMagic - no doubt. I don't want to support the idea
> of this thread but there are many of apps which are made for terminal but users
> are running them mostly without arguments. For example - irssi, BitchX, mc,
> newsbeuter, alsamixer(I am still using the cli one), mutt(kind of), alpine,
> nethack, and others. Of course - you can run it with arguments but regular user
> who uses that GUI tool to install apps will not use its arguments for first
> run.

The problem is that a user may search for "an email program". With certain
normal expectations (such as a graphical interface). And it gets really
tedious, if to the user a long list of programs is displayed, which
contains Curses-based programs or even CLI tools like mailx.

I hope the screenshots and features apps in programs like gnome-software
will serve as a good hint. Perhaps packagers will add screenshots for
terminal based programs however, and then for the user that would be
more stuff to wade through again, and the user may want to filter out
CLI tools.

--
I just noticed ELM is not included within the package collection anymore.