unaccessability

Branislav Blaskovic blaskovic.branislav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 12:20:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:01:51PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:12:34 +0100, Branislav Blaskovic wrote:
>
> > yes, you are right with ImageMagic - no doubt. I don't want to support the idea
> > of this thread but there are many of apps which are made for terminal but users
> > are running them mostly without arguments. For example - irssi, BitchX, mc,
> > newsbeuter, alsamixer(I am still using the cli one), mutt(kind of), alpine,
> > nethack, and others. Of course - you can run it with arguments but regular user
> > who uses that GUI tool to install apps will not use its arguments for first
> > run.
>
> The problem is that a user may search for "an email program". With certain
> normal expectations (such as a graphical interface). And it gets really
> tedious, if to the user a long list of programs is displayed, which
> contains Curses-based programs or even CLI tools like mailx.

Ok, mutt was bad example (thats why I added 'kind of' after it). But the others
are usable right after starting. Of course there have to be mentioned that the
app is made for terminal.

I don't know this new Software Center but I hope there will be some kind of
sorting as Ubuntu's one has. And I doubt that mutt would be the first one in
popularity :) This would resolve the problem with long-list confusion.