Core file location and abrt

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Tue Nov 12 07:22:30 UTC 2013

On 11/11/2013 09:50 PM, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> [I sent this to the users list a little while ago, but got no takers.
> Hopefully I'll have better luck here.]
>
> I'd like to ensure core files go to a local partition rather than the
> default location ($HOME), which is network-mounted in my case.
>
> Googling a bit, I found this:
>
>          https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/61536
>
> In light of that, a few questions...
>
> Does this still apply to abrt in Fedora 19?
>
> That page suggests that when abrt is in use, core files would be
> generated in the location set by abrt, which defaults
> to /var/spool/abrt.  However, I have abrtd running and I'm definitely
> getting core files in $HOME.  Does abrt just make a copy to put
> in /var/spool/abrt?
>
> Might my problem be resolved as simply as telling abrt not to make a
> copy?  I'd be fine with just having the core files in /var/spool/abrt.
> Otherwise, I imagine I'd like them somewhere named /var/users/$USER/dump
> (or similar).  How do I do that and continue to play nicely with abrt?

Hi,
if you have ABRT running on your system you have 2 options:

1. set ulimit -c to 0
- this will prevent the system from creating corefiles, but won't
influence ABRT

2. edit /etc/abrt/plugins/CCpp.conf and change MakeCompatCore = yes to no
- this will tell abrt to ignore whatever is set as corelimit and never
create the "compat core" which is usually in the $CWD of the crashing
program.

Cheers,
Jirka