What is support status of PowerVR GPUs in Fedora? (Intel D2500 and gma500_gfx)

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Thu Nov 14 18:50:25 UTC 2013

On Nov 14, 2013 5:05 AM, "valent.turkovic at gmail.com" <
valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Friend of mine just showed me his cheap 13" laptop running Intel D2500
> and first thing he said that he had issue installing linux on it.
>
> When I asked about GPU and answer was "Intel" I assured him that for
> last 10 years I only used Intel GPU based laptops and had great
> experience.
>
> I tried Fedora 19 Live - failed to boot, then Linux Mint 15 - got to
> screen but with terrible artifacts on screen, check them out -
> http://youtu.be/mha7fZU1xFg, then tried latest Fedora 20 Live Beta 5 -
> boot starts with artefacts but fails to boot into desktop.
>
> Few hours later after reading up on this issue I managed to get laptop
> "working" with Linux Mint 15 (updated kernel to 3.11) but had to
> blacklist gma500_gfx driver, only then I get somewhat usable laptop
> (but with lower resolution and no video acceleration).
>
> I'm really interested what is the state of gma500_gfx driver in latest
> kernel, is it reasonable to expect that this driver will get updated
> and have better support or should I just say to my friend to grab
> version of Windows 7 and to run with it... any suggestions?
> --

I have a box with the same generation of Atom/PowerVR (Cedar Trail? Cedar
View? No access at the moment).  I can't get *any* display manager to work
reliably, but I can `xinit gnome-session` with reasonable results.  Once X
stops, whether from killing the process or switching targets, the GPU is
locked until reboot.

I gave the thing to a friend to use as an HTPC, and he gave it back saying
he couldn't find Windows drivers for it, and neither could I. I'm using it
as a disposable rawhide playground now.

If anyone really wants to hack out support for this I'd be happy to ship it
to them.

--Pete