BuildRequires: redhat-rpm-config

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Thu Nov 14 20:28:43 UTC 2013

> I had a bug filed that a Python package I'm maintaining cannot be
> rebuilt using 'rpmbuild --rebuild'.  The failure was that the *.pyc
> and *.pyo files are missing.
>
> After a lot of head-scratching and debugging it turns out that
> brp-python-bytecompile was not running, and that happens because the
> RPM macro %{__os_install_post} didn't contain a call to
> brp-python-bytecompile.  This macro exists in base RPM, but is
> overridden/extended when redhat-rpm-config is installed.
>
> Installing redhat-rpm-config fixes the problem for the bug reporter
I noticed some odd things about the whole brp-python* setup : for
instance, there are two very similar versions of brp-python-hardlink:
one from rpm-build-4.11.1-3.fc19.x86_64 and another from
redhat-rpm-config-9.1.0-46.1.fc19.noarch ; they seem to be doing the
same thing, the only difference is
<        pyo="${pyc%c}o"
---
 >        pyo="$(echo $pyc | sed -e 's/.pyc$/.pyo/')"

No big deal but it looks like someone who knows this area should review
and/or clean it up.