F21 Self Contained Change: Replace Bacula with Bareos

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 13:19:39 UTC 2013

Hello,

Bareos is currently in standby following some legal issues:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items#Bareos

It was added to the Forbidden Items list after I wrote the feature page.
Until those are solved, the feature can't simply happen.

Regards,
--Simone

On 15 November 2013 13:03, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:

> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Replace Bacula with Bareos =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Bareos
>
> Change Owner(s): Simone Caronni <negativo17 at gmail.com>
>
> The powerful Bacula network backup solution has switched from being Open
> Source friendly to being almost closed source. Originally the project was
> conceived totally as Open Source, but since the creation of Bacula Systems
> and
> its proprietary Bacula Enterprise Edition product, the Open Source (now
> called
> "Community Edition") has received less and less updates and is mostly
> abandoned.
>
> == Detailed description ==
> The most important points that are left "abandoned" are the following:
>
> * Installation scripts and updates to makefiles are not updated anymore.
> * New plugins and functionalities are not added anymore, except those in
> the
> "core" daemons.
> * Gaphical (and buggy) console has not received any update in almost two
> years.
> * Patches and bugs opened in the bug tracker are mostly left abandoned.
> Even
> trivial fixes are not imported in the source.
> * Windows binaries are no longer provided, nor the source for the clients
> has
> been updated. Even if compiled with difficulties, there is no support for
> recent
> Windows versions.
>
> A former Bacula developer, frustrated by the situation created the fork
> Bareos
> a long time ago from Bacula 5.2.x (the current Fedora and RHEL 7 version).
> This version has now received '''a lot of bugfixes''' compared to the
> original
> Bacula source. This makes compilation and installation a lot easier than it
> was with Bacula.
>
> On top of this, a '''lot of new features''' have been added; some unique to
> Bareos but many available only in the closed source Bacula Enterprise.
>
> Here is the list of new features compared to the current Bacula 5.2.13:
>
> * http://www.bareos.org/en/whats_new.html
>
> Some highlights include NDMP support for enterprise class storage (NetApp,
> etc.), support for enterprise class tape libraries and Windows support
> (including Windows Server 2012) with Bareos generated binaries.
>
> For further details on why a Bacula fork was created please look at the
> following links:
>
> * http://www.bareos.org/en/faq/items/why_fork.html
>
> Bareos can also be '''fully compatible with Bacula''' by setting a specific
> configuration directive in the Daemon configuration files; thus providing
> the
> option for RHEL 6/7 users to interoperate with Fedora systems.
>
> * http://www.bareos.org/en/faq/items/bareos_bacula_compatibility.html
>
> == Scope ==
> [...]

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of
the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/