F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Nov 15 17:30:33 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky
<sochotnicky at redhat.com> wrote:
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/jing-trang.git/commit/?id=6d46e64fe0f365a947c7095adaf65e8cc2c90d5b
>
> Ugh. Why did you have to do that?

Huh, wow, that's not at all the response I was expecting. What did you
expect to achieve with it?

Anyway, I'll bite: the primary reason is because I've seen earlier
specfile mass modifications (automated as well as done by
non-maintainer humans) happen in a way I don't want to see happen to
packages I maintain. And it's already been a long time since the
availability of java-headless was announced. See also below.

> That commit changed nothing because all the dependencies still have "Requires: java".

And what do you think will happen when the dependencies get fixed to
depend on java-headless? Oh, these packages don't need any action,
java-headless goodness just is suddenly available with them. So it did
change something after all, no? Progress needs to start somewhere, and
I helped by doing the bits applicable to my packages. Waiting until
their dependency chain gets fixed would have been grossly inefficient;
there was no reason to wait for that, and still isn't.