unaccessability

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 22:45:08 UTC 2013

> Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > ----- [Petr Pisar wrote:] -----
> >> BTW, is there an XDG way how to spawn an user-preferred terminal emulator
> >> (and and application inside)?
> > No.
>
> Wrong!
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s05.html#key-terminal
>
> Any interactive terminal app that works without arguments SHOULD include a
> .desktop file with Terminal=true!

Um. You're not reading carefully enough. The question was not 'is there
a way to indicate this app should be launched in a terminal'. It was
'does any XDG specification define a way for the user to indicate their
preferred terminal emulator app, and a method for launching the user's
preferred terminal emulator app?', to which the answer is indeed 'no'.

The OP was looking for something along the lines of xdg-open, basically,
but for launching the user's choice of app from a given class, rather
than the user's preferred app for dealing with a given class of *files*.
I believe Bastien is right to say XDG really doesn't do such a thing.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey