How to handle non-free parts of a free software project

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Nov 15 23:25:17 UTC 2013

Manuel Faux wrote:
> I little bit more feedback would be welcome.
>
> You don't agree to give the option to manually download the file at all,
> or don't you agree with NOT packing the file to /usr/lib/jvm/...?
>
> By not giving the option to manually link to the file we will loose the
> functionality to create Java Web Start war files at all. Also other
> packages require the user to get some non-free files for some specific
> non-crucial functionality.

Can't you package the offending JAR in RPM Fusion Nonfree? Then it can
install to system directories such as /usr/lib/jvm without causing trouble.

Of course, the ideal solution would be to have a Free replacement or to get
the original relicensed, but failing that, that's what RPM Fusion Nonfree is
for.

        Kevin Kofler