F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

Jon VanAlten jon.vanalten at redhat.com
Mon Nov 18 15:44:25 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Well, in theory it would be possible to implement automated provides
and requires w/o jdk modularization, but likely there would be a lot
of effort that would go out the window once we do have a modular jdk.
Also, any future auto provides/requires are much more likely to be at
the module level, not the class level, as this is how tooling for a
modularized java will be geared.  Not to mention the issue Stanislav
mentioned with 100s or 1000s of provides and requires generated in a
typical package.  I actually had a prototype patched rpmbuild with
auto module requires/provides working some time ago when Jigsaw was
still targeted for JDK7 (I think that was still Sun, to give you an
idea how long ago), which is also long before upstream decided to
toss the existing Jigsaw impl and start again :/  I learned my lesson,
and won't spend more time until upstream has actually merged
modularization work to a release branch.

cheers,
jon