What is support status of PowerVR GPUs in Fedora? (Intel D2500 and gma500_gfx)

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 21:53:40 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The ARM laptop will have the same or worse issues in terms of GPU as
>>> the x86 one.
>>
>> re: anything with powervr (arm or intel), sadly the best answer is run
>> away as fast as possible
>>
>> re: arm chromebooks, well, there is some hope of eventually getting an
>> open source driver, but it will be a long process.  Currently
>> gnome-shell and related components in fedora need desktop opengl so
>> blob driver doesn't help much.
>
> Well in theory gnome-shell should work fine on GLES ... how does it fail?
> (It is untested but it does not have any direct GL code, it uses cogl
> which has an GLES2 backend).

yeah, I think all we need to do is actually build the gles2 backend.
But it has been a while since I checked (and not really a cogl expert,
and all that).  I just remember that for freedreno I had to use GL and
implement some emulation for GL primitives that the hw does not
support directly, particularly quads needed to be emultated as tri's +
index buffer.

BR,
-R