F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 08:35:47 UTC 2013

Quoting Jerry James (2013-11-18 16:54:28)
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky
> <sochotnicky at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I believe OpenJDK maintainers will agree that automatically detecting if java or
> > java-headless is supposed to be required is not really feasible. There's too
> > many variables at play.
>
> Then how are we maintainers supposed to determine if our packages
> require full java, or just java-headless?  "Needs X or audio" is too
> vague.  Is there a list of packages and/or classes that are present in
> full java but not in java-headless?  Or some kind of explicit set of
> guidelines I can use to examine my packages to see which they need?

You can use following Oracle article as a starting point[1]. But maybe OpenJDK
maintainers can provide better alternative. Generally though there are *very*
few packages in Fedora that would require full java.

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/javase/headless-136834.html

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241