Using git for patch management in Fedora

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 10:36:24 UTC 2013

Hi,

For github-hosted upstreams, you can suffix some URLs with '.diff' or
'.patch'. I have used it for vcsh [1] (which btw is a tool I'd
recommend to anyone who keeps dotfiles in sync on several machines). I
did that on a pull request, but you can also do that on a commit (for
cherry-picking) [2] and github even allows you to use a shortened
sha-1 [3].

Of course this doesn't prevent you from putting the patch files in the
package's repository, which seems to be the main issue. But one could
write a script to fetch such patches at %prep time.

Dridi

[1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/vcsh.git/tree/vcsh.spec
[2] https://github.com/RichiH/vcsh/commit/c0d0f80513f26e7b6a485bbd6239191a3fe4be59.diff
[3] https://github.com/RichiH/vcsh/commit/c0d0f80.diff