F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Nov 20 11:39:39 UTC 2013

Le Mar 19 novembre 2013 09:35, Stanislav Ochotnicky a écrit :

> You can use following Oracle article as a starting point[1]. But maybe
> OpenJDK
> maintainers can provide better alternative. Generally though there are
> *very*
> few packages in Fedora that would require full java.
>

> [1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/javase/headless-136834.html

May I point out that when jpackage tried to streamline Java packaging we
unilaterally decided java would mean the JRE (not the full jdk as was
commonly used at the time) and various gui bits suchs as fonts were moved
to separate subpackages

So having the main java package mean 'something minimal sufficient for
most uses, add other subpackages if you need to' is nothing new.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot