F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Nov 20 15:20:34 UTC 2013

Le Mer 20 novembre 2013 15:04, Stanislav Ochotnicky a écrit :

> Can we actually list good reasons to have a metapackage or x11 subpackage
> that
> would outweight the inevitable disadvantages? If you *really* feel I
> misunderstood these two ideas we can start an etherpad or something so we
> can
> ping-pong more effectively on specific issues.

What will you do when wayland arrives and you'll need to make the x11
parts optional even for gui apps? That was always the core problem of
SUN's "stuff everything in the default install" approach: it avoids
looking for optional parts, but the base install slowly accrues layers of
not-so-useful and perhaps-deprecated bits.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot