F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

Aleksandar Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Wed Nov 20 18:39:48 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

The thing is this is pointless. If the people that would do most of this auditing (Java SIG) do not agree with such scenario the result would be that old Require:java will be kept whenever full java jvm is used as this keeps compatibility, ease of cooperation with other distros and so on. I for one would not introduce requires to some virtual provide that would break compatibility with other JVMs in my packages even after auditing it. And we end up with one more unused virtual provide on top of all the other which were added with such good intentions and end up just clutter the situation. If you look at openjdk spec you'll see provides like - jre, java-fonts, jndi, java-sasl and so on and they are simply not used.
They were introduced for various reasons but their usage is the same today - none. Let's not make the same mistake one more time.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team