F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Thu Nov 21 12:26:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 20/11/13 18:53, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:27:38PM -0500, Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:
>>>
>>> I start to think this conversation goes nowhere. The whole split is
>>> superficial and most java developers are used to get full jvm if they
>>> require java.  This would probably change with Java 8 introducing
>>> Profiles [1].

(Then I suppose the real question is whether we should be doing this
now at all... but under the model that most packages don't actually
need to be touched for the few people who care to benefit, I can't see
a reason to say no.)

> We were speaking about giving more power to SIGs related to discussion about
> Fedora.next. This can be a good start. Stano and Aleksandar are working on
> Java maintenance a lot, Java SIG members are speaking together, so I have a
> confidence in their actions.

That's not really what Fedora.next is about AFAICT, and separately
from that not all that reasonable either; upstream language
communities have their different ways of doing things and the language
SIGs are constantly at risk of isolating themselves and their
practices from the rest of the distribution.

In fact I'd (as a purely personal opinion) very prefer the Env/Stacks
WG to set up _cross-language_ mechanisms for language and middleware
runtimes, that are administered, packaged and behave substantially
equally for all of them.
     Mirek