F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 16:01:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:33 AM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:
> (IIRC somewhere in the thread it's been suggested that software can't
> know which one to use: how would the maintainers know then?)

Yes, I raised that question early on in this thread.  The response I
got was to read this:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/javase/headless-136834.html

which is a 7 year old article about setting up a headless system with
Java 6, and doesn't mention audio anywhere.  I am willing to do the
work to figure out which of my packages need full java and which can
get by with java-headless, but I need a very clear set of criteria to
work from.  I don't think this article qualifies, nor have I yet seen
such a clear set of criteria.

And Mirek's question bears repeating: if software can't figure this
out reliably, how do you expect us fallible humans to do so?
Apparently it is not as easy as "if your software uses these packages
and/or classes, it needs full java, otherwise java-headless is
enough".  Why not?  What else could cause a dependency on full java?
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/