Packaging changes for libev in Rawhide

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 23 04:12:41 UTC 2013

> Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> >   * Move the headers back to /usr/include, as upstream intended
> >   * Put the event.h header into a libev-libevent-devel subpackage, and
> >     make it Conflicts: libevent-devel (this is what Debian did)
>
> -1
>
> Conflicts are evil, and this pointless conflict is very easily avoided by
> moving the header to a subdirectory as the package now does.
>
> (I actually think that BOTH libev and libevent should use a subdirectory for
> their headers. event.h is a very generic header name that doesn't belong in
> /usr/include at all.)
>
> Upstream needs to comprehend that they cannot just spam their headers
> directly into /usr/include; if they don't, we have no other choice than
> moving them without their consent.

As said before, I disagree, and I want to get our package back in line
with upstream and other distros.

That being said, there is another possibility: if you feel so strongly
that our current packaging of libev is the way it should be and it
shouldn't change, then please take the package, so I'm not at the
receiving end of users' requests and confusion.

I argued the point with upstream, they refuse it, I don't feel like
arguing more about it.

--
Mathieu