debuginfo packages available in updates later than regular packages.

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 17:13:02 UTC 2013

On 24.11.2013 17:55, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-11-24 at 16:50 +0100, Sandro Mani wrote:
>>  From abrt-reported bugs where
>> people generate the backtraces locally, it occasionally happens that
>> they send incomplete backtraces due to mismatching debugsymbols, and
>> it
>> would certainly help increasing the quality of backtraces if such
>> cases
>> could be avoided
> This does suck, but the bigger problem is that debuginfo packages are
> not updated at all - not ever - unless you either
>
> a) use yum instead of PackageKit
> b) manually enable the updates-debug repository
>
> So requiring the exact version of the base package will only work if
> that gets fixed first.

Oh, I never noticed this! I take the reason the debuginfo packages do
not live in the "normal" repos is that one wants to reduce the
repodata/filelist size? Could the current situation be improved by an
approach similar to:
- Move the debuginfo repo definitions to separate files
- Have a package fedora-release-debug (or similar) install the repo file
in /etc/yum.repos.d. The repos would be enabled by default when installed.
- Have all debuginfo packages depend on fedora-release-debug
- (ugly) Have debuginfo-install install the repo file before proceeding
as before.
?

Thanks,
Sandro