[Base] Release cycle discussion for Fedora products and specifically Fedora Base and how they interact/align

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 15:12:11 UTC 2013

Hi everyone.

As i've been having a few discussions myself and following several of
them as well as plans about release cycles in the different WGs over the
past weeks and after FESCO discussed this in during their meetings and
in a FESCO ticket[1] i get the feeling that we should be discussing this
not in committees only but on a broader scale across all committees and WGs.

The FESCO ticket comes to the following result:

'If working groups want to use different cycles, they should provide us
with what they want to do with rationale along with the PRD. They should
be aware that even if we can okay the plan, it is unlikely to be
implementable for one or more releases. Please do not make your PRD
depend on an alternate release lifecycle.'

Josh Boyer also started a very great discussion about this specifically
for the kernel on the Fedora kernel mailing list and how he would like
to go forward with the kernel itself[2]. A very informative and deep
analysis of the options and the impacts of different alternatives as well.

Stephen Gallagher did the same for the Server WG[3] with lots of good
input and feedback about the it in that thread as well.

What i'd like to do here now is to collect all information of every WG
about how they envision their releases to work (generally), what release
cadence they expect and what life time they expect for each of their
products and last but certainly not least, how they plan to support that.

And following the guidance of the FESCO ticket[1] how we can in the end
align all products to follow a general cadence and life cycle while
allowing products the flexibility they want and/or need.

Thanks everyone!

Regards, Phil

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1202
[2]
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kernel/2013-November/004678.html
[3]
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/server/2013-November/000369.html

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Manager Core Services        | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111