TLS libraries and licenses

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Nov 27 16:46:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-11-27 at 09:27 -0700, Jerry James wrote:
> For one package for which I am part of upstream, we are talking about
> adding TLS support.  The upstream project is GPLv3+.  We're looking at
> the preferred list of crypto implementations on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraCryptoConsolidation and have a
> couple of questions.
>
> The most preferred option is NSS, which is MPLv2.0.  The license list
> at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licensing#SoftwareLicenses
> says that MPLv2.0 is "sometimes" compatible with GPLv3.  If I'm
> reading the MPLv2.0 page correctly, then compatibility is strictly a
> function of the MPL-licensed package.  In that case, wouldn't it make
> sense for us to have two license tags for our RPMs:
> MPLv2.0-GPL-compatible and MPLv2.0-GPL-incompatible?  (Not necessarily
> with those names, of course.)  As it is, anyone in our situation has
> to independently evaluate the MPLv2.0 package to figure out whether it
> is GPL compatible or not.  (The NSS source code fortunately contains a
> note on GPL compatibility.)
>
> The second option is gnutls, which is various flavors of GPL and LGPL,
> and so is fine for us.  We did have one developer wonder why gnutls is
> preferred over openssl, though.  Can anyone answer that question?

You answered that just below; because OpenSSL is GPL incompatible.
Since gnutls is LGPL, it can be used in most places openssl can be used,
*plus* it can be used with GPL software.  Obviously, consult your
lawyers for the specifics of your situation.

> The third option is OpenSSL, whose license is GPL-incompatible, and so
> not an option for us.
>
> The fourth option is libgcrypt, which is LGPLv2+, and so is fine for
> us in terms of license (haven't looked at available functionality
> yet).

libgcrypt is actually just basic crypto, not TLS.  gnutls is based on
libgcrypt.  So it's not an alternative to anything above for TLS stuff,
but you'll get it anyway if you choose gnutls.

You really only need to plan for one or both of NSS or gnutls.  While it
may not help you much because it doesn't do any TLS stuff,
NetworkManager does have an abstraction layer for both NSS and gnutls
for basic crypto and certificate/private-key operations:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/libnm-util

See any of the crypto* files.

Dan