Introduction

Alek Paunov alex at declera.com
Wed Nov 27 18:47:49 UTC 2013

Hi Tako,

On 27.11.2013 15:01, Tako Schotanus wrote:

> Sorry for not responding to this before, but lots of other things to do and this packaging business obviously needs more than just an hour here or there of reading READMEs.

NP, I just decided that you are in touch with the experienced packages
who already offered to help/mentor the Ceylon stack packaging and they
have guided you to some better workspace/workflow.

> I see you want to make things even more difficult for me by giving me *several* options to choose from, are you *trying* to torture me? ;)
>
> Is there somewhere I can read up on this way of managing packages?

No. Perhaps the LuaJIT Fedora stack will be prepared/supported by the
Lua community in that fashion, but it is just a plan at this time.

> And any particular reason why you would suggest making a new gitgub project for each of the Ceylon SPEC files instead of just putting them together? Wouldn't that just give us a bunch of 1-file projects otherwise?

The intention is, the staged package repos to be in same shape as
production repos:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/scala.git/tree/
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/coffee-script.git/tree/

i.e. one repo/SRPM per source based build (as Dridi emphasized in the
previous mail, probably somewhere grouping tarballs (tar.gz) from more
than one gh:ceylon/* repos) where latter build BuildRequires result RPMs
from the previous or the Fedora NN platform resource (e.g. eclipse RPMs)
containing same _fixed_ branches as the dist-git repos:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/coffee-script.git/refs/

To be persistent with the torture and complications :-), I would suggest
you to additionally:

- Create one top repo with the same branches (f21, f20, f19, etc):
   gh:fstack-ceylon:
     fstack-ceylon/
       - submodule: ceylon
         ref: gh:fstack-ceylon/ceylon
       - submodule: ecliplse-ceylon-ide
         ref: gh:fstack-ceylon/ecliplse-ceylon-ide

     ceylon
       - ceylon.spec

     ecliplse-ceylon-ide
       - 0001-tweaks-for-eclipse-xxx-c1.patch
       - 0002-tweaks-for-yyy.patch
       - ecliplse-ceylon-ide.spec

   That way, you could deal with the whole stack,
clonning/barnch-switching single fstack-ceylon repo (as you like in the
question above), still keeping the (real) sub-repos dist-git ready.

- When somewhere the need of patching arises (e.g. because of
incompatibility between the base ceylon-something version for that dist
branch e.g. f19 and the required platform components e.g. eclipse-xxx in
f19) you can add "f19" branch directly in the respective
gh:ceylon/something repo e.g. gh:ceylon/ceylon-ide-eclipse and then
easily produce the required patches to the
gh:fstack-ceylon/ecliplse-ceylon-ide in f19 branch, with git
format-patch, see libguestfs:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/tree/fedora-20
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/libguestfs.git/tree/copy-patches.sh?h=f20

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/tree/rhel-7.0