Reopening: Q: webfonts:

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Thu Nov 28 15:22:03 UTC 2013

On 11/28/2013 02:25 PM, Paul Flo Williams wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>
>> Le Mer 27 novembre 2013 15:39, Petr Vobornik a écrit :
>>>
>>> OTF/TTF fails in all modern versions of IE when the font does not have
>>> embedding permissions set to 'installable' [1]. It's more common that
>>> one would say.
>>
>> Of course it is very common, it's the default setting in most font
>> authoring tools, and the authors of those tools were very much against web
>> fonts in the first place. So font authors that actually want to do web
>> fonts and actually choose free font licenses get betrayed by their
>> tooling. And a lot of them do not care for ie at all anyway.
>>
>> Just write a fontforge or ttx script that flips this bit at rpm build
>> time, assuming you've done your legal review correctly the bit is in
>> contradiction with the font license (if the font was no installable we
>> could not package it in the first place). You'll be doing nothing more
>> than fixing a bug in upstream's font implementation.

OK, seems to be the easiest way. Originally, I wanted to avoid it
because idk what is the correct way. I've created a simple script to do it:

   #!/usr/bin/fontforge
   i=1
   while ( i<$argc )
       Open($argv[i])
       SetOS2Value("FSType", 0) # set 'Embeddable' to 'Installable Font'
       fmflags = 0x800 # generate old kern table
       Generate($argv[i]:r + ".ttf", "", fmflags)
       i = i+1
   endloop

The script is not good because it doesn't touch only OS/2 table but it
regenerates the whole font file (different GPOS, dropping DSIG and
without fmflags also dropping KERN table).

I've also tried to use ttx with a hope that it won't touch other tables,
but it crashed on parsing OpenSans font.

> Perhaps we should add this to the font packaging guidelines?

+1

--
Petr Vobornik