trouble with library dependency when main package depends on -libs subpackage

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 20:26:20 UTC 2013

I'm having a bit of trouble with RPM dependencies.  I'm trying to package
faifa, which manages HomePlug AV interfaces.  There's a library (libfaifa)
and two executables, faifa and hpav_cfg.  I'm putting the executables in
the main package (faifa), the shared library in a -libs subpackage, and the
headers in a -devel subpackage.  I have both the main package and -devel
subpackage depending on the -libs subpackage, both using the line:

Requires:       %{name}-libs%{_isa} = %{version}-%{release}

When I attempt to install the main package, it says that there's an
unsatisfied "Requires: libfaifa.so.0()(64bit)" even if I already have the
-libs subpackage installed.

I'm sure I've overlooked something in the packaging guidelines and other
relevant documentation, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix this.
Any assistance will be much appreciated. My spec and SRPM are at:
http://fedorapeople.org/~brouhaha/faifa/

Thanks!
Eric