Fedora Working Groups: Call for Self-Nominations

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Oct 4 11:49:09 UTC 2013

On 10/04/2013 04:31 AM, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> On 10/03/2013 05:42 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>> On 11.09.2013 21:31, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>>
>>> Introduction ------------
>>>
>>> Based on discussions at and around Flock, the Fedora Project
>>> Board has approved a proposal for a big change in the way we
>>> put Fedora together. Rather than presenting one Fedora with
>>> multiple slightly-different install options, future Fedora will
>>> be designed, developed, and promoted as three separate products
>>> built around a common core.
>>>
>>> To take that idea from talk to reality, we're making a
>>> corresponding change to Fedora leadership. Each product will be
>>> guided by a Working Group, which will function as an
>>> independent subcommittee of FESCo, (the Fedora Engineering
>>> Steering Committee). FESCo will resolve issues which impact
>>> multiple working groups, and the Fedora Board will continue to
>>> set overall strategic direction, but the working groups will be
>>> largely autonomous within their own areas.
>>>

>>> The Groups ----------
>>>
>>> We are creating a group for each of the three initial products
>>> the Board has approved:
>>>
>>> * Fedora Workstation * Fedora Server * Fedora Cloud
>>>

>> What about Fedora Embedded? Do you plan to drop ARM support on
>> Fedora? I can't match small credit card size devices with either
>> Workstation, Server or Cloud group. Is this group list fixed or
>> could be extended and on what basis?
>>

>> Mateusz Marzantowicz
>>
> We just started to support ARM, I don't think we want to drop it.
> I guess those three products are currently most important and
> other products like Embedded should go into Spins category. At
> least for now.

Yes, we're probably not going to be offering a direct embedded product
right from the get-go. However, the Fedora ARM project will definitely
have a place in the Server and Cloud variants, as several hardware
manufacturers have been announcing ARM-based servers.

We certainly don't want to suggest that ARM-based hobby projects like
Pidora will be going away. ARM folks are encouraged to work on the
Base Design functionality so we can meet their needs in the core OS
and then we'll be providing tools similar to the current Spins to
allow them to continue building their own installable images.

The main change being made here is with how we are presenting *The
Fedora Project* to the world. In the past, we've tried to be all
things to all people, but going forward we want to pick a few specific
areas that we will focus on (and market) particularly. The wide world
of Fedora software and packages will always be there.