Red Hat and Fedora Working Groups

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 4 18:23:46 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 03:14:27PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Why should the community participate in this when it turns out that
> the the whole WG and the next proposal is nothing but an utter and
> total sheninagan on RH behalf as came apparent on last FESCO meeting

Jóhann, you're taking one out-of-context quote from one FESCo member,
reading too much into it, and building an alarmist story around it.

This is absolutely a real community process. Red Hat members of the working
groups can make their merit-based cases the same way as anyone else, and if
they can't show that merit to the community, they don't get a special trump
card. They will have to find another way to advance their cause.

You may think that this is just talk, but I promise you it isn't. Fedora
provides value to Red Hat in many different ways, but genuine community
voice is among the most crucial. If that voice tells us one thing and we
can't listen, that's our failure, our loss -- and not what's going to happen
here.

It's completely fair for Red Hat -- and Red Hatters -- to talk about what
directions in Fedora we think would be most beneficial to the company, and
about the resources -- time, money, people, and so on -- that we could bring
to bear in certain directions (and probably won't in other directions). If
we clearly talk about that, and about the technical merit of directions
proposed, and we can't be convincing, and can't adapt what we're proposing
to become convincing... well, we have some soul-searching to do.