python-urlgrabber, yum: blatant disregard for packaging guidelines and common sense

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Wed Oct 9 15:31:38 UTC 2013

Quoting tim.lauridsen at gmail.com (2013-10-09 16:48:31)
> the original urlgrabber maintainer left long time ago, but the yum team
> adopted the code, because it was critical to yum, so this is cause why
> there has been no upstream release.
> yum shold make upstream releases in more frequently, instead of adding very
> large patches to latest git HEAD.
> yum-utils releases was made by me, but I have not had so much time to spend
> on yum-utils, so there has not been any releases for a long time.

My beef was mostly with python-urlgrabber (since that's used by more tools than
just yum), but Zdenek managed to get permissions to do upstream releases so
current F20/rawhide has been updated and is mostly fine. There's few minor
problems and obsolete parts but that can be worked out later...

> dnf is not in a state to replace yum yet, and it will take awhile to get
> there, a lot of tool uses yum api and dnf has no stable api yet, so yum
> will properly stay here for years to come
> so there is no excuses to not make upstream releases more frequent :)

I really like relase-early-release-often but for that you need a nice testuite
so you don't screw up too badly :-) Now I am wondering how dnf is going to
approach testing, regressions etc. It sure would be nice to have a big
testuite for such a component.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241