Yum dependency resolving & remove_leaf_only

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Oct 12 18:32:16 UTC 2013

Am 12.10.2013 20:20, schrieb Bruno Wolff III:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 00:42:43 +0800,
>   P J P <pj.pandit at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>>
>> It is an often experience that I try to remove a package(ex: bluez, kernel, gnome-bluetooth) and yum(8) prompts
>> me to remove nearly 200-300MB worth of critical packages, which has no connection(ex. kernel => Xchat  OR bluez
>> => gedit  etc.) with the package I want to remove. Recently I was told to set remove_leaf_only=1 in yum.conf,
>> which should help remove only the leaf node packages and nothing else. So I set it.
>
> The connection may not be obvious to you, but it's there. You shouldn't ever remove kernel. You may want to remove
> a specific kernel (that you are't currently running), but then you need to include a version number.

wrong

"yum remove kernel" is uninstalling any *not running* kernel and if someone
has not messed up his installation will never remove any ther package

more true is that "yum remove kernel" is the way to go if you
increased the amount of kernel-versions to preserve
and want get rid of them all at once and keep only the running