Yum dependency resolving & remove_leaf_only

P J P pj.pandit at yahoo.co.in
Mon Oct 14 20:33:08 UTC 2013

> On Monday, 14 October 2013 8:05 PM, Eric H. Christensen <sparks at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I believe he is assuming that xchat has a direct relationship with bluez which,
> I'm guessing here as I haven't checked, probably isn't the case.
> Because bluez affects something that xchat depends on xchat is getting thrown
> into the pile of things that will break without bluez.  Dependencies aren't
> always 1:1...

   Yes, I understand that Xchat is not directly dependent on bluez; It is being a victim of associative dependency, something like

bluez <= gnome-bluetooth(libgnome-bluetooth-applet.so.0) <= gnome-shell <= libnotify.so.4 <= xchat

My original question was if this is due to a packaging error  or  if yum's dependency resolving algorithm is at fault. Because with remove_leaf_only=1, if you try to remove individual packages,

    # yum remove bluez,
    # yum remove gnome-bluetooth
    # yum remove pulseaudio-module-bluetooth

None of  them work. But if you try to remove all 3 together

    # yum remove gnome-bluetooh bluez pulseaudio-module-bluetooth

Yum prompts you to remove bluez  -> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-October/190101.html
---
Regards
   -Prasad