Automounting of the root partition in the initramfs

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 12:47:49 UTC 2013

All,

The (admittedly hacky) dracut-modules-growroot package installs a
dracut script that runs in the pre-pivot stage. It unmounts the root
partition, extends it to the maximum possible size and then tries to
remount it. What I noticed in F20 is that as soon as the
repartitioning finishes (its an sfdisk command), something
automatically remounts the root partition and the growroot script
fails when it tries to mount the already mounted partition.

Can somebody shed some light on what is happening and why the root
partition is automatically remounted and if I can rely on that and not
have the growroot script try to remount it?

Thanks
...Juerg