Alternative to Debian origins?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 15 13:48:43 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 03:19:06PM +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> In Debian distributions exist file:
>   /etc/dpkg/origins/default
> which is symlink to
>   /etc/dpkg/origins/debian
> with content:
>   Vendor: Debian
>   Vendor-URL: http://www.debian.org/
>   Bugs: debbugs://bugs.debian.org
> Do we have some alternative to this in Fedora world?
> The goal of this file is to difference vendor. See:
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=487437
> for more details.

We don't have anything like that, but something equivalent might be useful
for split Fedora products -- "vendor" would be the wrong word, though.

We have a number of _related_ things -- /etc/system-release, and the RPM
"vendor" tag. From the given use case, in fact, I think that the vendor tag
is pretty close. I'm not quite sure what they want to _do_ with it though,
even having read the debian bugs. What do _you_ want to do with it?