prelink performance gains

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Tue Oct 15 17:49:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:42:25 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> * look at the amount of updates and how they hit prelinked libraries until
>   prelink ran again
> * look at the "lsof | grep DEL | grep /usr" output caused by prelink

Sorry I do not see what disadvantage is it?

> * look at the wasted cycles of running prelink itself and compare to the gain

the cycles of prelink happen during night when nobody waits for anything.
The gain happens when user waits until the program starts.

> in the past on notebooks i hated prelink and god bless the maintainer which
> removed the prelink-require out of rkhunter which was pervert
>
> most of the time i noticed the weak performance while prelink ran
> between that i got alarmed all the time by rkhunter-notifies
> *because* i should prelink this and that file

Sorry I do not see how is rkhunter related and what is the disadvantage.

If you mean that prelink ever runs while you sit at the computer then it is
a bug in cron, not in prelink.  /etc/cron.daily/mlocate has a similar problem.

Jan