prelink performance gains

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Tue Oct 15 17:56:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:50:44 +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> Many tools need to juggle the fact these binaries have been changed, and
> make checkers more complex and prone to faults.

So let's build the whole system with -O0 and we can throw away most of
compilers and half of debuggers, which are all needlessly complex and prone to
faults due to -O2.  Do we want to build simple system or good system?

> In general prelink makes things more complex for negligible gains, its
> worth is highly questionable.

I am aware of it, I have spent a lot of time making tools prelink compatible.
But even compilers have very complex parts for negligible gains.

> I just hope you are not saying that there is a doubt there are
> disadvantages.

I really have not yet seen any valid one.

> The real question here is whether advantages supersede disadvantges, and
> given the only advantage seem to be performance and it is lost in noise,

I would not say it is lost in noise but let's say it is not big.

Jan