prelink performance gains

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 05:49:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 10:51:18PM +0100, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:
>> $ rpm -V varnish
>> S.5....T.  c /etc/varnish/varnish.params
>> $ rpm -V firefox
>> $ rpm -V libreoffice-core
>> prelink: /tmp/#prelink#.TZlaPL: Recorded 92 dependencies, now seeing -1
>
> Check out "-y" in the prelink man page. It does a dance where it undoes
> prelinking so the original checksum can be calculated.

Didn't work, after a quick peep in the man I ended up doing:
$ sudo prelink --undo --all

A few reboots, and I still don't notice any obvious degradation of the
start time of either the OS or programs like writer. I should have
read the man in the first place, but I was a bit upset.

>> I've removed the prelink package:
>
> There was a bug referenced earlier in this thread: removing prelink doesn't
> undo what it's already done, so this doesn't work. Instead, you have to
> configure prelink to disable itself, run it again over all of your files,
> and *then* remove.
>
>> Are there other packages installed by default that would alter my system ?
>
> Not in this way, no.

Thank you for your help, feeling much better :)