how to withdraw glusterfs from epel?

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Fri Oct 18 14:30:53 UTC 2013

On 10/18/2013 10:09 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:03:28 -0400
> "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kkeithle at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'm okay with that. How about instead of a /etc/yum.repos.d/
>> file if it's a /usr/share/doc/glusterfs.README containing
>> instructions for how to use the community GlusterFS yum repo?
>>

> Are you allowed make a people repo?
> http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/

Like http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/kkeithle?

That's not what I want.

My vision is to make it easy for (RH)EL users to find glusterfs. I
already experience lots of people who don't/can't find the repos we
already have on download.gluster.org or even my old fedorapeople.org repos.

People install Fedora, yum {install,search} glusterfs, they're golden.

Right now people who install RHEL (or CentOS), add EPEL, yum install
glusterfs, and get an outdated version of glusterfs (reasons it's
outdated already given previously). They're not golden.

Soon, if I have to fully withdraw glusterfs from EPEL, they'll install
and get the client side gluster bits from the base RHEL channel. They're
semi-golden.

But I think it's be a good thing if they did a yum search and saw a
glusterfs-community-doc package (containing the README) that that would
be a reasonable alternative to thinking they were stuck with only client
side or nothing.

Or I just withdraw it completely and RHEL users will live mostly in the
dark until they find the community YUM repos by chance. (But I will add
that the nice people at CentOS are bending over backwards to add it to
their centos-extras repo and CentOS users who are looking for glusterfs
will have, IMO, a much nicer experience.)

--

Kaleb