communications and community [was Re: Lack of response about sponsorship]

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Oct 22 05:01:45 UTC 2013

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 13:07:25 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>>> As a first step, I suggest clearing up the intended usage of "devel" list.
>>> There's too much traffic on that list. 792 messages so far in October.
>> This is way down from the peak 5-7 years ago.
> What is the reason? More people avoiding MLs like the plague?
> Too many MLs?
Yes, that's one aspect.
>   Too many communication channels other than email?
May-be, but I doubt this. Actually I think many new packagers aren't
aware about the MLs and might be confused about which MLs to subscribe.

I also believe contributors are unsubscribing from some MLs because they
consider some of them to be polluted by "bureaucratic chatter" - It's
what e.g. I consider the test and the perl-devel ML to be.

Or they realize that Fedora lacks a culture of "free mindedness" and
tolerance?

> A couple of years ago, one would be informed well when following devel
> list. This has changed.
I share this experience and perception. devel@ has developed from a
discussion forum to discuss development issues into a
"proclamation/announcement" list.

Ralf