dracut: how do I...

Harald Hoyer harald.hoyer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 12:05:17 UTC 2013

On 10/22/2013 12:59 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Difference in size between initramfs generated with and without nohostonly is
> huge. I don't want to routinely use nohostonly, but neither do I want a specific
> root filesystem specified with root=<UUID> in the image. I want root= on cmdline
> to be obeyed in order to be able to "clone" the root filesystem for use on same
> hardware as many times as I want for various reasons and use whichever according
> to cmdline root=, having regenerated UUID(s)s on the clone(s). Is there a way?
> If there is one to be found in the dracut man page, I'm not seeing it. As it is,
> one must choose between nohostonly, or chrooting into the clone to regenerate
> with correct root UUID.

If your root is on a non-assembled device (like a plain partition), then dracut
(at least for F20) does not store any UUIDs in the initramfs in hostonly mode.

You can check with:

# lsinitrd | egrep '.*requires.*\.device'

and

# lsinitrd | egrep 'etc/cmdline.d/.*\.conf'

Both should be empty for simple partition setups.