Fedora Working Groups: Call for Self-Nominations

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 24 23:56:55 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-10-04 at 07:49 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> > We just started to support ARM, I don't think we want to drop it.
>> > I guess those three products are currently most important and
>> > other products like Embedded should go into Spins category. At
>> > least for now.
>
>> Yes, we're probably not going to be offering a direct embedded product
>> right from the get-go. However, the Fedora ARM project will definitely
>> have a place in the Server and Cloud variants, as several hardware
>> manufacturers have been announcing ARM-based servers.
>
> Apologies for the necro, I'm catching up on this whole discussion.
>
> I really think whatever the New Way Of Doing Things turns out to be, it
> needs to include a minimal network install image much like the current
> netinst.iso, built for all primary arches, as a primary deliverable.
> Whether that's considered part of one of the 'products' or the 'base os'
> or whatever I don't know, but I really think it would be a huge mistake
> not to ship something along those lines. It is likely to be what a lot
> of ARM users want. I think having that, and ARM builds of the products
> so far proposed, should cover the bases - but so far as the Workstation
> product goes, remember that GNOME does not currently work well on most
> supported ARM platforms, so our 'ARM Workstation' is currently KDE.

It is up to each WG to determine their product requirements.  That
includes which architectures and target users they are trying to
produce a product for.

> We've done a lot of work over the last few cycles to really bump ARM up
> to 'first class citizen' status, and a lot of that is coming together -
> I think reasonably successfully - in F19 and F20. It would be rather odd
> to go with a change for F21 or F22 which goes in the opposite direction.

ARM is important long term, yes.  I don't necessarily think that ARM
is equally important across all of the existing products.  I find it
more likely that ARM is important enough to have it's own WG and it's
own product, which may or may not have commonality with the other
products.

josh