$HOME/.local/bin in $PATH

Michael Ekstrand michael at elehack.net
Mon Oct 28 21:27:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:30:05 +0000
Sérgio Basto <sergio at serjux.com> wrote:

> On Seg, 2013-10-28 at 14:00 -0500, Michael Ekstrand wrote:
> > > Does any software store files into $HOME/.local/bin/ yet?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > pip install --user <some python package>
> >
> > The pip user scheme is to use ~/.local as an FHS-ish thing. IMO,
> > this is much superior to the cabal, gem, etc. notion that they
> > should each have their own bin directory for user-installed
> > programs.
>
> Hi, I have pip in Debian servers (old and new release) and in Fedora,
> and don't find any .local/bin
> So my argument is more , nobody and noapp put things in ~/.local/bin

Fedora 19:

$ pip install --user --upgrade mercurial
$ ls ~/.local/bin/hg
/home/michael/.local/bin/hg

So, if you use 'pip install --user' to install a Python module that
provides scripts/executables, it will by default put those executables
in ~/.local/bin.

> and where is xdg recommendation to use .local/bin ? I goggling it and
> don't find any reference to that .

I don't know where, if anywhere, this behavior is specified.  It's just
what the Python package installation tools do.  I haven't seen any
other program do this, for better or worse.

- Michael

--
Michael Ekstrand — http://elehack.net/