[fedora-java] Headless JRE in Fedora

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Tue Oct 29 16:30:52 UTC 2013

Quoting Florian Weimer (2013-10-28 14:42:47)
> On 10/24/2013 04:19 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> > Quoting Fernando Nasser (2013-10-24 16:06:27)
> >> Also, will this change be ackported into the Java packages of RHEL_5 and RHEL-6?
> >
> > Doesn't matter. Fedora != RHEL
>
> I think we need a solution for EPEL, though.  Either we can ship the
> non-split packages with adequate provides in RHEL, or there should be
> some RPM macro that expands to the proper dependency.  It's probably not
> a good idea to have every package to cook up its own solution.

EPEL contains small number of Java packages. I believe complicating hundreds
of packages in Fedora for something like this would be an extremely bad idea.
If we have to live with small incompatibility for a few years, so be it. But
long term, we'll have a nice clean Java packaging. Moreover It only affects
rpms/specs from F21+ that would like to be installed on EL5/6

For what it's worth even most current Java packages are not compatible even with
EL6 due to automatic requires handling and other changes.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241