$HOME/.local/bin in $PATH

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Oct 30 14:29:26 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 01:08 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 30.10.2013 13:00, schrieb Alec Leamas:
>> On 2013-10-30 12:25, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> No, it should not. However, the right decision is in many cases a
>> trade-off between security and usabilty, not always with a single
>> answer. Allowing users to install sw (i. e., allowing random
>> applications to put things in $PATH) has of course security
>> implications. Dis-allowing has usability aspects. My personal view is
>> that for the distribution the defaults should allow and support
>> user-installed sw.
> the distribution should *not* train users doing this in their userhome
Nonsense.

> that is why /usr/local exists

/usr/local exist to allow sys-admins to override the system-wide
installation (/ and /usr).

>   and software besides packages belongs
> there and should be installed as root, 1 out of 1000 users need
> to install software in the userhome, if so they should learn
> about the implications and have a small barrier
You should not start to generalize on your limited scope of use-cases.

Surely there are installations where users are not allowed to install
executables, but this is just local convention and by no means is the norm.

Besides that, what and where users put things underneath of $HOME is not
a distro's busness.

Ralf