$HOME/.local/bin in $PATH

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 02:02:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct, 2013 at 14:05:05 GMT, Christopher wrote:
> And, the xdg argument doesn't seem like a sufficient argument for
> me... we're talking about login scripts, not X. It is very unintuitive
> that an xdg-related directory would be on the default path for a bash
> login, if you're not even running X. This is a bash profile... not an
> X profile...

The XDG spec parts aren't really X-specific anyways. Does having to set
W3M_DOWNLOAD_DIR as well as XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR sound at all appealing? I
see that XDG comes from "X Desktop Group", but for XDG_* stuff.
Backronyming to "[Cross] Desktop Guidelines" (of which a TTY login is
just a degenerative case for most things (icons, menus, etc.)) wouldn't
be the worst thing...

-- Ben