Fatal flaw in the udev paradigm?

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Oct 31 18:01:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 13:08 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > But better yet, mind sharing which toys you have so we can update the
> > black/greylists as appropriate?
>
> I make them myself using FTDI chips, usually, and they talk plain
> RS-232 using terminal emulators and such:
>
> http://www.delorie.com/electronics/
>
> I also get a lot of eval boards with usb-serial chips on them.
>
> They're plain serial ports, but they're not modems.
>
> IMHO the assumption that "every serial port might be a modem" is the
> wrong assumption these days.

I use arduinos in my rare spare time, the are not modems, but they use
serial ports.
I think the majority of devices the use "serial" ports in the "makers"
era are definitely not modems. Probably worth not consider them as such
by default unless explicitly configured in network settings.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York