19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Sep 5 22:33:40 UTC 2013

Am 06.09.2013 00:26, schrieb Chris Murphy:

> On Sep 5, 2013, at 11:26 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> i simply edited /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>> and after that i expect *nothing* to add the release name
>> *but* a lter kernel updates is adding it again
>>
>> i am using Fedor since "Fedora Core 3" and i am maintaining
>> more than 20 fedora setups and *before* F19 nobody and nothing
>> touched "grub.cfg" due kernel update slike F19
>
> Grubby has touched grub.cfg after kernel updates for a very long time. Since at least F15

tell me something new - naturally it tocuhes it because
it copies the last kernel entrie 1:1 and changes the
kernel version and path as well as initrd nut it *never*
touched anything un-related to the new kernel

it *never ever* has added the release-name and release-version

whay is Fedora starting with this crap exatly with the
release having a short-minded name with special chars
not properly handeled by the whole OS?

hence if this wuld have been handeled serious while this
problem was known long before the release this would have
been fixed in the affacted packages or the release-name
changed finally because of this - but i hardly take a
decision serious running with the technical *useless*
release name in a situation where exactly this one is
not porperly displayed at the very first begin of boot